1 minute reading time
National Asbestos Awareness Week 26 – 30 November 2018
This is Alan, a friendly family-loving man who enjoyed helping people and teasing his children and grandchildren.
His exposure to asbestos firstly occurred when he spent 15 years in the RAAF, living in fibro lined buildings. He married Pam in 1964 and settled in Adelaide where he tried various jobs, deciding on the building industry – more exposure to asbestos.
Always a keen sportsman, he had suffered no health problems until a lung infection in 1999 led to tests which eventually revealed asbestos fibres. Diagnosis with asbestosis came as a shock – especially as there was little treatment, and no known cure.
Relinquishing his driving licence (due to needing constant oxygen) and no longer being able to play with his grandchldren were the hardest things for him to accept.
Alan died in 2002, at the age of 64.
Every year 4000 Australians die from asbestos related disease.
BE ASBESTOS AWARE